Calaveras County Communications

The Calaveras County Sheriff's Department Communications Center is located near the Government Center in San Andreas. It is the Communication Center that the Dispatcher calls home. Dispatchers work around the clock 24 hours a day 7 days a week to provide communication between the citizens of Calaveras County and the deputies and ambulances working the streets.

It is the job of the Dispatcher to answer all 911 calls, most of the non emergency and business calls, operate and monitor multiple radio channels, dispatch sheriff deputies and ambulances by radio and telephone, and perform records tasks and warrants checks. Most of the time, the dispatcher is required to perform all of these tasks at once.

Using a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, radios, sophisticated telephone services, and utilizing all possible resources available, the Communications Center does it's very best to be sure that the citizens receive the services they need.


Dispatch Console Image


Communications Center Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Civil Standby?

Contact the Communications Center on the non-emergency line (209) 754-6500 at least one (1) hour prior to needing the standby. The Dispatcher will send a Deputy to your location if one is available.

If an in-progress priority call comes into the Communication Center the Deputy will be sent to that call first.

The Sheriff's Office provides Civil Standbys on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Police reports are available Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm by contacting Records at (209) 754-6695.

Questions To Expect When You Call 911

  • WHERE- Where are you?
  • WHAT- What is your phone number? What is happening?
  • WHEN- When did it happen?
  • WHO- Who is involved?
  • WHY- Why did this happen? What provoked the incident?
  • WEAPONS- Are there any weapons involved?

If you are reporting a crime and can see, or if you saw a suspect, the Dispatcher will need a description of the suspect including: sex, race, age, height, weight or body type, hair color, eye color and a clothing description.

If the suspect has a vehicle the Dispatcher will need a description including: the color, make, model, style and any feature that makes it stand out. (example large stickers, loud exhaust, dents etc.) If the suspect leaves the scene of the crime on foot or in a vehicle, the Dispatcher will need to know which direction the suspect went.

When reporting a medical emergency, please remember two very important points.

1. All County Dispatchers are Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certified and are capable of providing you with appropriate instructions to help a sick or injured person until medical personnel arrives. In order for the Dispatcher to provide you with appropriate medical instructions, they will ask you a series of questions that you need to answer to the best of your ability.

2. When the Dispatcher is asking you these questions, their partner is notifying medical personnel of your emergency and they will be on their way to your location before you hang up the phone.

Reporting Non-Emergencies

The Calaveras County Sheriff's Office 24 hour number for non-emergency calls is (209) 754-6500. The Deputy's response time to non-emergency calls depends on the seriousness of the incident reported and how many emergency and non-emergency calls in your area came in before your call.

Some examples of non-emergency calls are:

  • Burglaries that are not in progress or that occurred some time ago and the suspect is no longer at the scene of the crime
  • Stolen checks, credit cards or identity theft
  • Vandalism to property
  • Loud parties or music
  • Past incidents of child abuse, domestic abuse or fights
  • Runaway juveniles or missing adults that are not believed to be in immediate danger 
  • Car or building alarms
  • Loitering or disturbing the peace

When to Call 911

DO NOT call 911 for non-emergencies; this causes delays in the handling of true emergencies.

You should only call 911 when you are reporting an emergency. An emergency is a situation that threatens human life or property, and demands immediate attention. Only crimes in progress, medical emergencies, or incidents that have, or will result in, serious injury or property damage should be reported by calling 911.

Some examples of incidents that should be reported by calling 911:

  • Medical emergencies
  • In progress verbal or physical fights
  • Sexual assaults
  • Burglaries and robberies in progress, or that just occurred.
  • Domestic violence or child abuse in progress, or that just occurred.
  • Vehicle accidents with injuries
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medications.
  • Suspicious circumstances that could pose a threat to people or property.
  • Fires or explosions

To provide you with the best of service and care, there are a few things to expect when calling 911. It is important to try and remain calm while the Dispatcher asks a series of important questions to best ascertain what is happening. The Dispatcher understands that you have an emergency and that you need help, but you need to provide the answers so you receive the appropriate assistance, and to assure the safety of everybody responding. An important thing to remember is that while you are on the phone with one Dispatcher, their partner is sending help your way.

Help will be on the way before you hang up the phone.

Who do I call?

Every day calls are made to the Sheriff's Office to report incidents that should be reported to other agencies, simply because the caller does not know who to call.

Here are some FAQ's to help avoid these incidents:

Who do I call to report:

  • Reckless Driver
  • Speeding Vehicle
  • Non-Injury Vehicle Accident

Contact the California Highway Patrol (CHP) at (209) 943-8600.

Who do I call to report:

  • Barking Dogs
  • Injured or Neglected Animals
  • Stray Animals

Contact Animal Services at (209) 754-6509. 

Who do I call to find out if it is a burn day?

  • Call Burn Day Information at (209) 754-6600 or (209) 785-7664.

The Sheriff’s Department does not have anything to do with determining burn day status.